Before you head out for break, here are a few things you can do to improve the energy efficiency and comfort of your home as warmer temperatures arrive:
- Activate Power Management on your computer to a sleep mode feature so it automatically goes to sleep when you're not using it. ENERGY STAR® estimates you can save you up to $30 each year on your electricity bills by using this feature. Save even more by turning your computer off.
- Close blinds to keep the heat out
- Keep the AC at 78 degrees during the summer and 68 degrees during the winter
- Use the ceiling fan instead of AC
- Keep AC fan on "auto" to help regulate the temperature
- Adjust your thermostat when you aren't home or leaving for breaks
- Turn off lights when leaving your unit
- Run the washer/dryer at night, during the day is peak time for electric usage
- Open windows during the cooler times instead of running your AC
- Have vents closed for areas within the apartment not being used
Have ideas for another blog post that only you can write? We want to hear it! Find the submission form here.